There are currently a few hurdles to getting the very useful AddThis.net version 5 extension going on BlogEngine.net version 2.5 or later. I have consolidated the steps here.
There are a few ways of getting an extension added to a BlogEngine.Net project. I decided to use the NuGet approach. If you haven’t got this Visual Studio extension installed yet…do it now! see my earlier blog How to easily add open source libraries to net projects using NuGet).
First Configure NuGet
- Right-click on your web project and select ‘Manage NuGet Packages…’
- This will display the NuGet Manager. Click on the ‘Settings’ button at the bottom left.
- This opens the Visual Studio Option dialog. Make sure that ‘Package Sources’ is selected in the tree on the left.
- Enter the following and click the ‘Add’ button and then ‘OK’ on the Options dialog to close and save the new settings.
- You should now see the new BlogEngine.Net extensions library list under the ‘Online’ section. If necessary close the NuGet Manager and re-open it from the projects shortcut menu again.
- Simply select the extension you like and click ‘Install’. Nice an easy!
Second – Fix the project!
You will now try and rebuild your project to find that a whole load of failures occur.
This is easily fixed.
You will need to add the following reference to /App_Code/Extensions/AddThis.cs and pretty much every file under /App_Code/Extensions/BookmarkButtons, but the errors panel will give you the list of issues.
Then rebuild and voila…hopefully no errors!